Hotel Management Careers
Hotel Management careers have gained importance nowadays. Today the number of new Restaurants, Hotels & chain of hotels are increasing at a rapid speed resulting in a huge number of Hotel Management employment opportunities all over the world. With a boom in the service industry and increase in spending spree, it has led to a larger demand for excellent & fast services from the hotel industry. This means that the hotel industry requires skilled manpower to cater towards the demand of the hotel industry and thereby this has increased the scope for hotel management careers.
Hotel management includes:
- Hotel & Restaurant management
- Cruise Ship Hotel management
- Hospital Administration and Catering
- Hotel and Tourism Associations
- Airline Catering and Cabin Services
- Club management
- Forest Lodges, Guest Houses and others
A number of people have gained expertise and started with their own chain of hotels today. There has been a boost in the travel and aviation having a direct impact on the hotel management industry. The diversity of experience in hotel management is greater as it involves a combination of various skills like management, service, food and beverage, front office, back office, house-keeping, sales and marketing and accounting.
Increased awareness towards tourism has resulted in an increase in the hotel industry thus making it a very competitive one.
Eligibility to a Hotel Management course
- Minimum selection criteria for an undergraduate are 10+2 with minimum 50% marks.
- Diploma or certificate course in Hotel Management
- Few hotel management institutes conduct entrance tests before selecting candidates for various hotel management courses.
- Hotel Management courses are usually of 3 years duration though some colleges also offer 4 year degree courses.
- Institutes offer the course with a blend of theoretical and practical training.
- Students are given hands on training in all aspects of hotel management which helps them in enhancing their skills before they enter the corporate world.
- Apart from academic syllabus, students are trained on how to have a pleasant personality as they interface with guests as part of their job.
- Personality development is a key element taught in hotel management.
- In phase 1 students are taught with basic skills like cooking, serving a table followed by basics of hotel and tourism industry. Each day is divided between theory and practical class.
- In the phase 2, students learn under a live environment. They are placed in hotels where they get a short on job training as part of the course.
- The third phase covers the managerial training in finance, sales and marketing, budgeting, etc. Some colleges also teach foreign languages as a part of the syllabus.
Top Hotel Management Institutes in India
- 1) Oberoi Centre of Learning and Development -- Delhi
- 2) Institute of Hotel Management (IHM) -- Mumbai
- 3) Institute of Hotel Management (IHM) -- Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Ahmadabad
- 4) Christ College -- Bangalore
- 5) Rizvi College of Hotel Management and Catering Technology -- Mumbai
- 6) Merit Swiss Asian School of Hotel Management -- Ooty
- 7) Goa Institute of Advanced Management (IAM) -- Goa
- 8) Welcomgroup Graduate School Of Hotel Management -- Manipal
- 9) Kohinoor IMI School Hospitality Management -- Mumbai
- 10) International Institute of Hotel Management -- Kolkata
Placement / Job prospects in Hotel Management Industry
- Operations: Responsibility includes supervision, coordination and administration of all departments.
- Front Office: One should have a pleasant personality for this ob. Will need to take care of reservations and solve general guest queries.
- Sales & Marketing: This department keeps in touch with travel agents and tour operators as well as other potential corporate clients in order to sell hotel facilities.
- Food & beverage: Responsible for cooking & serving.
- House Keeping: The main function of the housekeeping department is to make sure that all rooms are kept in order and needs of the guests are met.